Friday, January 19, 2007

He spoke with authority

When I was young I enjoyed helping my Dad with workshop projects.  He seemed to know everything about planning, designing and building things made of wood.  he'd start with a piece of paper and make a sketch of the design.  Then he'd make a list of materials we'd need.  It would be fun to go with him to the hardware and lumber stores to buy the things on the list.  Then we'd follow a logical, step-by-step process to take all the pieces and see something useful come together.  I marvelled at his knowledge and skill.  Just being with him I felt safe and confident that, even though I didn't know how to do any of those things, he did.  My Dad worked with authority.  I think Jesus conveyed the same feeling to those He was with, as the designer and builder of all we see.  He conveys a sense of security and authority, just being near and listening to Him.
 
Matt 7:28 When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching; 29 for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.
 
blessings,
 
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment