Wednesday, April 4, 2007

drawn to the need

When I was hit and thrown off the bike last week two kinds of people stopped.  The first man who stood over me had an angry look.  He uttered a curse word and seemed to disappear.  I thought sarcastically, “Great…that’s real encouraging.  This is probably the guy who hit me.  I represent an expense and a problem for him.”  Fortunately, within seconds others gathered around with encouraging words: “We’ve called 911”…”I’m a nurse and will stay with you”…”How can I call your wife”.  Then the Rescue Squad showed up and demonstrated cool competence as they wrestled with how to transport me to the hospital.  I didn’t know any of the people who stopped that evening but I sure appreciated the immediate bond of love and concern that all showed, after the first man faded.  It occurs to me that we have a love bond and an absolute commitment to all who live around us.  We are called to respond to the needs in such a way that we will lay aside our personal schedule to help.  I could easily have died if total strangers didn’t become instant brothers and sisters.

 

I believe this is true for spiritual needs as well as obvious physical ones.  I was led to Christ by one who did not me well, but who really cared about helping me grasp God’s loving plan for salvation.  In the course of one afternoon he went from stranger, to brother, in Christ.

 

Let’s be eager to lay down our schedules and personal agendas to see more strangers become family members for eternity!

 

Luke 10:33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him.

 

Blessings,

 

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment