Friday, April 27, 2007

goal setting

I remember one time when I disappointed my father.  He had been watching my day to day attitudes in high school...I was probably a junior approaching one last year at home before launching into the world.  He was a man who had always had challenging targets to strive for, particularly as a young person.  He took more classes in more subject areas than anyone in his high school.  He was concerned about the future directions for me and asked me point blank: "What are your goals?"  He said, "I don't see any clear larger plan you're working toward.  You need to develop a specific ambition or direction that you want to achieve."  He was right, of course.  The truth was that I was totally comfortable bumping from day to day.  I worked hard in school but I never had a sense of personal vision or direction for my life.  We hear a lot about casting a vision, whether in business or in our personal lives.  Popular culture has learned that a larger sense of purpose expressed in specific terms helps us be focused and motivated.  The wonderful reality, as believers in Jesus, is that God actually has a personal vision for each of our lives.  Wow...talk about motivating.  Consider the following:
 
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
 
I guess one of the most wonderful aspects of our living relationship with the Lord is getting close enough to learn what those plans are and to walk in His purposes during these few days on planet Earth.
 
blessings,
 
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment