Tuesday, May 8, 2007

built for service

Did you know that of the 206 bones in an adult body over half are located in our hands and feet!  I was looking at hands and feet in an online anatomy picture and I was amazed at the complexity of bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, nerves and blood supply that all work together like a fabulous symphony just to allow us to put one foot in front of the other or hit a letter on a computer keyboard.
 
  My mother's hands are the most loving ones I've known.  They've helped care for me from day one until recent days when I had my accident.  She bravely deals with arthritis that has swollen the joints of her hands, but that has not deterred her from serving or fashioning knitted goods for her great grandchildren.  She has made countless meals, spent untold hours adding beauty to her garden, tended many who are ill or disabled, and decorated scores of walls with paint and wallpaper over the years.  It is Mother's Day this week and I can think of no one who better illustrates "going and doing" for others like my Mom.  She reminds me that there's a reason God designed our hands and feet with such complexity and capability.  They are the front line of service and we were all made to serve.  I must thank so many of you for hands and feet that have cut my grass, fashioned tasty meals, cleaned our home and were joined in prayer for me and my family in recent weeks.  It is such a beautiful picture of love to witness hands and feet led by hearts of love.  We were built to serve!
 
Jesus' hands were instruments of blessing:
Luke 13:13  And He laid His hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.
 
and He touches others with our hands an carries His gospel on our feet:
Acts 5:12 And through the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were done among the people.
Acts 14:3 Therefore they stayed there a long time, speaking boldly in the Lord, who was bearing witness to the word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands.
 
Romans 10:15  And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “ How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!”
 
blessings!
 
Rob Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment