Thursday, May 31, 2007

cords of love

Once a parent, always a parent...That's a phrase I've come to believe.  I have experienced the enduring love and concern of my mother for me, though I'm now well into my 6th decade on the planet.  I have felt the attachment of love for my adult daughters and now for my grandchildren.  I know that there is a special quality of relationship that attaches to family and I am grateful for that lasting "glue".  It's such a great thing to know that there is a circle of people who love each other "no matter what" and "just because" we're of the same human family.  I was struck by this today as I overheard a young mother describing her baby and how he resembled both father and mother.  The cords of love within family are stronger than steel and lasting.
 
Like so many natural things, the supernatural has a parallel.  We know God as our heavenly Father and are confident that His love for us, and His desire for our best, will never end.  We have spiritual brothers and sisters in this heavenly family and we share burdens of health, relationship and all manner of need as we walk through the uncertainty of daily life.  At times we help others find "new birth" by introducing them to Jesus, as their own personal Lord.  So we can have spiritual children that we help mature in faith. 
 
Our human family ties are very strong, though even they sometimes fail, just as we stumble in every facet of life.  The cords of love that hold us to our heavenly Lord can not break, however.  They do not depend on our strength, but on His.
 
Hosea 11:4 "I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love; I lifted the yoke from their neck and bent down to feed them."
 
Blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment