Saturday, June 9, 2007

start with contentment

I have a sneaking suspicion that many of us start our day with the following question in our minds: "What in the world am I supposed to do, today?" 
 
We may know from our routine that we'll be getting dressed, we'll head down the road to our job, we'll have lunch and deal with various issues that come our way, but there may still be a vague unsettled feeling because we know that, under it all, life is serious business and we sense that we're here for some specific purposes. 
 
Today the thought hit me that there is absolutely nothing I can do that will top what God has completed in Jesus.  As a result of the Cross and Christ's resurrection the great work of restoration to God is truly finished!  Consequently I am set free to start each day with total contentment.  Rather than worrying that I might miss some key assignment, I can focus on the security and comfort I have in Jesus.  It's not that there aren't important things to be done (and I don't endorse complacency or laziness)...but as I start with contentment and joy in the Lord I believe my actions will be have their origin in God's love and not my mind, by itself.
 
Proverbs 19:23 The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment