Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Guilty!

 
As if it wasn't busy enough today...what with moving out of our house and cleaning to prepare for the new family moving in...I got a speeding ticket!  I was doing 39 in a 25 zone.  I couldn't believe it...sure didn't seem like I was going too fast...but I was guilty!  When the policeman  pulled me over I was so surprised I started to get out of my car...he didn't like that and asked me politely to get back in the car.  I became very cooperative after that.  But I still got a ticket...I'm not happy about the ticket.  It's expensive and it will probably impact my car insurance rate.  There is also this feeling of embarassment because I made a public mistake and the flashing lights of the police car were there to broadcast it to my temporary new neighborhood (we're staying with my Mom while finishing our new home). 
 
Reflecting on this experience afterward I realized that the part of the speeding ticket that galled me most was that I was publicly identified for a valid infraction.  It made me think...what if the Lord tapped me on the shoulder every time I broke a commandment (even if no one else could see).  The police officer who pulled me over was very cordial.  He even explained that they were paying particular attention to the speed limit in that neighborhood due to recent complaints...I think he sensed my frustration.  As the Lord looks into our hearts I imagine he is also very composed.  He also is paying attention to violations in His neighborhood, ever since that serpent Satan showed up there has been a run of violations.  The reality of it is that doing  39 in a 25 is not the worst sin I''ve committed in my heart.  Just as the police officer faithfully pulled me over to help maintain safe conditions in this neighborhood, I'm glad that the Lord does pull me over as well, through the tug He places by His Spirit when I start to wander outside the lines of His plan.  Both the police officer and the Lord really only want the best for us.  They have every right to expect the best from us!
 
Psalm 119:176 I have strayed like a lost sheep.
                       Seek your servant,
                       for I have not forgotten your commands.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

1 comment:

  1. Again through everyday occurrences, you bring the gospel. This one hit close to home. I have felt indignant over minor speeding infractions, but it is quite humbling to consider all the infractions of my heart against my Lord that have not been broadcast
    to others to bring me public shame. What grace! What a blessing a costly speeding ticket could be if it turns our eyes upon Jesus.

    ReplyDelete