Sunday, September 16, 2007

We're Number 1!

It's football season...high school, college and pro.  Something we'll hear a lot over the next several months is: "We're Number 1, We're Number 1".  Given a choice I guess we'd all like to be Number 1.  It sure beats being number 362 and, really you don't even want to be number 2.  Can you imagine a cheer that went: "We're Number 2, We're Number 2!"  (Although Avis car rental centered its advertising for years around the theme that "When you're number 2 you try harder").  It occurred to me this morning that, as Christians, we really are Number 1.  That's because Jesus is Number 1.  The fact is, if you're rank-ordering gods to worship there's Jesus (and His Father) at Number 1 and all the rest are false gods.  No other god is the true God.  There is no other authority over life and there is only One who created us, fashioned a pathway across human history to be restored to Him (despite our sin) promises to indwell us in our human experience, and also can be counted on to come for us when it's time to move on to heaven. 
 
   Deuteronomy 32:39 "See now that I myself am He!
                                  There is no god besides me.
                                  I put to death and I bring to life, 
                                  I have wounded and I will heal, 
                                  and no one can deliver out of my hand."
 
 1 Samuel 2:2 "There is no one holy like the LORD;
                       there is no one besides you;
                      there is no Rock like our God.
 
 Psalm 113: 5 Who is like the LORD our God,
                    the One who sits enthroned on high,
 
1 Corinthians 8:6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.
 
I guess we really should cheer "He's Number 1, He's Number 1" because our God has given us a great victory, that will last far beyond this football season. (Aren't you glad that you are one with Him!...you are, aren't you...?)
 
blessings,
Rob Smith
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment