Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Living with faults

 
In California the ground beneath your feet is shifting slowly but steadily.  Two great plates of earth are moving in different directions along the length of the state.  We know this as the San Andreas Fault.  It runs as a big divide for about 800 miles and on the west side land is moving north while on the east side land is moving south.  This "slippage" is happening at about 1 inch per year and every so often it produces earthquakes.  When you live with Faults you have to be prepared for inevitable Quakes.  The same is true in the human realm.  We all have faults...we sometimes seem divided with one part headed in one direction while another part going in a different direction.  In a moral sense the apostle Paul put it this way: (from Romans 7:15-18 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.  If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.  But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.
 
Part of us "wills" to do good while part of us continually tries to drag us a different direction.  This tension inevitably causes "Quakes" in our lives just as San Andreas' Fault disrupts the state of California.  In California they have learned to live with their Faults...homes, roads, large buildings and bridges all must be built to withstand the periodic earthquakes.  If we're honest about ourselves we'll see our own fault lines and prepare our building with the reinforcement of scripture and the flexibility of faith.  Paul found only one resolution: Romans 7:24-25 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?  I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
 
blessings from another with fault lines,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment