Monday, December 17, 2007

A fresh chapter each day

I've been reading a fascinating biography of Abraham Lincoln.  It is helping me picture what it was like for him as he struggled through the issues of the Civil War and I enjoy reading before I go to bed.  Lately I have found that my eyes and brain are getting tired before my interest in reading fatigues each night.  Part of me wants to keep reading, but the lights are going out in my mind and I have to mark the page and surrender to sleep.  But it hit me today that it's a good thing to close the book each night and go to sleep and it's a good think to close the book on our day and begin afresh the next day.  I really believe that we are meant to start totally fresh every single day...I don't think life is so much about building a big or lasting monument (though we may build large and wonderful things) and I don't think we are meant to lug the past with us like a fallen tree (though the lessons of the past bring wisdom).  Just as the apparently endless beauty of a waterfall is fashioned by the moment by moment flow of water over the rocks, so the beauty of a life is formed in the daily opportunities we have to experience the Lord.   Each day is a drop of water that will pass, only once, over that gorgeous waterfall.
 
Psalm 42:7 Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls;
         All Your waves and billows have gone over me.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment