Monday, December 31, 2007

Playing catch

I was thinking about how much fun it was to play catch with my Dad.  Often, after dinner and following his long work day he'd grab his baseball glove and I'd get mine and we'd toss a ball back and forth for a half hour or so.  I remember the satisfaction of making the catch and also the good feeling about throwing it back.  It really was a bonding time and a time when we'd talk about how things were going.  I am privileged to have the legacy of parents and grandparents who invested love into my life.  This Christmas I had a special gift request.  My grandpa Jackson fought in World War I and somehow I inherited a few of his war memorabilia, including his dog tags.  I asked for one of the tags to be put on a chain and I was so happy when my wife presented me with the present Christmas day.  I wanted to keep something of him close because I know he really loved me.  Now I have a grandson and when I see him my heart leaps and we play together and the generations between us melt away.  More and more I see that life is a game of catch, where the joy comes from both throwing and receiving love.
 
Psalm 103:13 As a father has compassion on his children,
                    so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;

                 14 for he knows how we are formed, 
                     he remembers that we are dust.

blessings,

Rob Smith

http://2daysthought.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment