Tuesday, January 15, 2008

His voice

John 5:25 Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
 
John 10:3-4 To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.
 
Acts 22:14 Then he said, ‘The God of our fathers has chosen you that you should know His will, and see the Just One, and hear the voice of His mouth.
 
Revelation 1:12 Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. 14 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; 15 His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters; 16 He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength. 17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. 18 I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.

The other night I was watching TV and I heard a familiar voice from an actor doing a commercial  I immediately knew the voice but the appearance of the actor wasn't familiar.  It was Robert Wagner, an actor who I'd seen in many TV shows when I was growing up.  His voice was just the same but he'd aged so much that I really didn't recognize him.  Somehow our voice doesn't change in adulthood nearly as much as most of our characteristics.  You probably can instantly identify a number of people within a few words even when you can't see them, as across a phone line.  There is also an unchangeable uniqueness about the voice of Jesus and somehow His children recognize His voice, identify the speaker correctly as their Lord and turn to listen and follow.  His voice calls us to follow Him, to listen to Him and to take comfort from His voice.  I can recall the great security I felt as a child when I heard my father talking with my mother, even if they were in conversation downstairs and I was in bed.  His voice was strong and clear and he spoke with confidence and understanding.  To hear his voice was to feel his nearness and to sense his protective covering.  I think our experience with Jesus is very similar.

 
blessings,
Rob Smith
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment