Monday, April 7, 2008

A boy and his sword

I had to take my grandson Peter out of the wedding we attended Saturday.  It was just a bit too long for a 2 year old to sit still.  We went for a walk and discovered some pigeons, fire trucks and a playground with swings and slides.  But the thing that made the biggest impression on me was when Peter picked up a stick.  He used the stick to find bottle caps, bugs and stones.  I had a flash back to myself as a boy and how much fun I had with sticks.  They were imaginary rifles and swords and were always fun to whip into the woods or hurtle like a javelin.  I guess men have an eternal affinity for the sword.  Sometimes it shows up as a baseball bat, a tennis racket or a hockey stick.  Maybe the Lord wants us to remember the sword of the Lord...the Word of God.  It's sharper than any sword and we do well to wield it with skill.
 
Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword."
 
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment