Sunday, April 13, 2008

generations

It occurred to me recently that I am in the "next to the oldest" generation that is living from my family. All the Smiths and Jacksons (except my Mom) that form my heritage have spent their brief span on earth and moved on.  Four generations currently are living in my family and I suppose that is typical.  Some families might have five but the thought that struck is how brief our time on the planet is.  Also, how much we depend on the lessons, lives and legacies of those who have gone before us...Surely a major role of our lives is to pass on the torch of life to the next generations.  These days the Olympic torch is stirring controversy as it is being passed through countries ahead of the China games.  During our brief stay on earth we can participate in the passing of Jesus' flame of life.  Our run here will pass and we, too, will move on.
 
Matthew 24:32-35 "Take a lesson from the fig tree. From the moment you notice its buds form, the merest hint of green, you know summer's just around the corner. So it is with you: When you see all these things, you'll know he's at the door. Don't take this lightly. I'm not just saying this for some future generation, but for all of you. This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won't wear out.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment