Tuesday, April 29, 2008

waiting in line

Saturday I went to Busch Gardens with my two sisters and my Mom.  I rarely get to see my sisters because they live in Michigan.  It was such a beautiful day that half of the greater Hampton Roads area also decided to go to Busch Gardens.  We waded through flocks of like-colored and logo'd tee shirts from school, church and family groups.  I couldn't believe the security.  It had been several years since I'd last been there and it was a new experience to see "bag check" lines and to have my fingerprint recorded as I entered the park.  My sister, Donna, and I decided to go on one of the newer roller coasters.  The line was so long that it started way outside the official "line" area and the wait clock indicated a 90 minute wait.  Well we decided to hang in there anyhow.  Fortunately it only took about an hour before we strapped in for four minutes of terror and stomach-separating plunges (I actually enjoyed the ride a lot).  But as we waited, I was finally able to ask my sister how she'd come to know the Lord.  We had time to review the whole story, which had a lot to do with a severe personal illness that she'd dealt with for over 30 years.  We also talked about our kids and some of the troubles and challenges they've faced recently.  With all the activity that surrounded my sisters' visit I doubt I would have had time to have such an in depth conversation were it not for the roller coaster wait line.  The thought struck...some of our best times come when we least expect it and there is great benefit in just talking and listening with those we love.  After all, what else is there to do for an hour wait in line.
 
Ephesians 5:15 See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment