Monday, May 5, 2008

horizontal and vertical

It struck me recently that most of my thoughts are "horizontal".  Most of the time I'm wrestling with problems and matters between people, between myself and work, home and highway.  Maybe it's because the easiest position for my head is to look out horizontally and not to flex my neck and look up or to close my eyes and bow in prayer.  Of course, this time of year there is much beauty on the horizon.  Someone pointed out that we have a lovely wild bush in the woods behind our home, called Mountain Laurel.  Trees and flowers are coming into seasonal bloom all around.  But without the "vertical" dimension of thought and observation I think we can forget about heaven and God's dominion.  It's easy to live in such a way that we see life like one of those puzzles we had as kids, where you moved pieces around on a small board until they formed a picture.  For some reason, we still think that we are the ones moving the pieces around to form the picture of our lives.  I need to constantly remember to look up and to bow down and to add the vertical to the horizontal.

Psalm 5:3 My voice You shall hear in the morning, O LORD;
         In the morning I will direct it to You,
         And I will look up.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment