Wednesday, June 25, 2008

the battery

As I walked this morning and began to enjoy the new summer day the thought occurred that our lives are battery operated  (sometimes I feel like a small "AAA" battery and sometimes like a powerful flashlight "D" cell).  When our natural lives begin that battery is fresh from its wrapper.  It powers us through the stages of growth, from childhood through adolescence, into adulthood and finally wears down and runs out of energy.  The battery in our natural bodies doesn't get replaced.  There is no compartment to open and pop in a new one, or recharge the old one.  We were designed to eventually run down and stop.  I know that we were also designed for eternal life, where our battery will never run down, but it helped me to remember that each day lived here is to be cherished because this natural experience in God's creation on planet Earth was intended by our Maker to have a limited run.  That's not a bad thing...it's a real thing...and it brings great value to each new day!

 

Psalm 39: 4 "Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
      Remind me that my days are numbered—
      how fleeting my life is.
 5 You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.
      My entire lifetime is just a moment to you;
      at best, each of us is but a breath."

 

blessings,

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment