Tuesday, June 24, 2008

getting oriented

Have you had the experience of waking up and not knowing where you were?  Recently, on vacation, we stayed in several different places over the course of a week.  One night I awoke out of a deep sleep, looked around at an unfamiliar grouping of furniture and doors and, for a few moments, felt lost.  I couldn't place where I was and so I didn't know why I was there.  For a brief period..perhaps less than half a minute...I was out of touch with what was going on in my life.  I think something similar can take place as we move from one day to the next.  There are times when our walk with the Lord is close and we are at peace about our purpose and our direction.  We have spent time with Him, sharing our concerns and waiting on His direction...listening for His voice and reading His words to us.  We move through the day with an assurance that He is with us.  Sometimes we just forge into the day without looking His way...and then another day...and then another day...and at some point we can feel lost.  We aren't sure where we are or what we should be doing.  I am encouraged that the Lord patiently waits for us to look to Him at those times.  He quiets our heart, realigns our feet in the right direction and fills us with purpose.  Now why is it that I don't run to Him every morning with eager expectation of His guidance?  I call it "short-term divine memory loss".
 
Isaiah 30:21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,

      " This is the way, walk in it,"
      Whenever you turn to the right hand
      Or whenever you turn to the left.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment