Saturday, June 28, 2008

There is God

This morning I walked over to a pond nearby.  On the way I was pleasantly surprised to see a wild turkey up in a tree.  It was quite a sight to watch this ungainly creature struggle into the air as he heard my rustle in the forest floor.  When I arrived at the pond I flushed another large bird from a log protruding up out of the water.  It may have been an egret.  As I relaxed and looked over the water I thought of the time when Jesus walked on the water.  I thought about the reaction of the disciples as they saw Him.  I also tried to imagine what my own reaction would be if I saw Jesus strolling across the pond toward me.  Three words entered my head: "There is God".  Each of these three words can be accented to savor a slightly different aspect of truth.  When they saw Jesus on the water they knew that "there" they were actually seeing the One promised from Heaven.  And He was one they knew well and who knew them even better.  Having allowed that to sink in the greatness of the thought is captured in the verb "is".  The fact that God "is" makes all the difference.  Our trust in a living God validates our faith and gives life purpose to our walk with Him.    "There is God, and God is there indeed!" 
 
Matthew 14:25-27, 33 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea.  And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear.  But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid."
33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, "Truly You are the Son of God."
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment