Wednesday, September 3, 2008

in the shadow of the mountain

There is no doubt that a mountain is impressive.  If you approach a mountain, or a mountain range, from the flat lands you are progressively aware of the presence of their majesty.  I'm sure that much of that impression comes from living daily in the flat lands, where sky, trees and fields surround.  This morning it occurred to me that I live in the shadow of a mountain continually, and so I sometimes do not even see the mountain.  The Lord is my mountain and He rises powerfully all around my life.  There is nothing I can set my eyes on that doesn't have its origin with Him and there is no inner function of my mind or body that doesn't have its authorship with Him.  But somehow I can become dulled to the presence of the mountain that is the Lord.  I can walk past the mountain without looking up at its peak.  I can scale the sides of the mountain and feel only fatigue rather than glory in the view from its elevation.  It helps me to think of the Lord as the mountain I live by daily.  If I can heighten my awareness of that wonderful mountain I will be reminded of the Lord's continual presence and power.  One of the beauties of a high mountain, rising up from the flat land, is its visibility from all around the base and from quite a distance.  And so we all can look up to the mountain of the Lord, as He looks down and sees us all as well.
 
Micah 4:1 Now it shall come to pass in the latter days
      That the mountain of the LORD's house
      Shall be established on the top of the mountains,
      And shall be exalted above the hills;
      And peoples shall flow to it.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment