Monday, September 15, 2008

rescue operation

"Rescue crews were mounting a door-to-door search of homes in Galveston and other coastal towns, local officials said Sunday.

'There is not a square foot that will not be searched,' Galveston City Manager Steven LeBlanc said."
 
Shortly after Hurricane Ike slammed into the Galveston area of Texas early Saturday morning rescue crews from the Coast Guard and National Guard have been actively looking for some of the 20,000 folks estimated to have remained in their homes through the storm.  Interestingly, relatively few have been spotted from the air and it looks like they may have hunkered down in their homes to ride out the storm.  I appreciate the proactive effort that authorities are making to find and to save people.  This morning I'm reminded that, as believers, we're part of the rescue team that God has put together to save folks from Hurricane Life.  I'm reminded that I wasn't just saved to be safe personally...I was saved to help others also find safety in the Lord.  A passage in Acts caught my eye where Jesus is speaking to Paul during his conversion:   Acts 26:17-18 'I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you,  to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.'
 
I have been saved to help others find safety in the Lord.  Some have no interest in being rescued, but I suspect others will reach up with eager arms to be lifted from the debris.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment