Saturday, November 22, 2008

the God out there

On my walk this morning I spied two young deer scampering through the woods...apparently playing.  It occurred to me that they must have been unaware that the world is in the midst of a great financial and economic crisis.  It doesn't seem to have affected them!  It is a very cold morning, the kind of cold that makes you wish you'd worn a hat because even your skull feels cold.  But as the brilliant sun rose above the trees and I felt that the Lord and I were making eye contact I was reminded of one of the greatest miracles of all:  The God 'out there' can be the God 'in here'.  Too often my concept of God is just that..a concept.  I allow Him to be distant and somehow uninvolved in my inner person.  I suppose that's why I don't always experience a sense of inner security or rest.  So I asked the Lord to come in and warm me up with Himself, and He did.  When we feel like something is missing, it probably is...only it's not some-thing, it's some-one.  Apparently we were designed to include God in our minds, our thoughts, our concerns and dreams...even our fears (maybe especially our fears).  Yes, He is the great God of the Universe.  He also is the amazing God who can fill our inner person just as He's fashioned our outer world.  Perhaps, if we cultivate this closeness we'll be able to scamper like the deer through the woods, despite the problems of the outer world.

Ephesians 3:16-19 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.


blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment