Tuesday, November 18, 2008

rest

After a good night's sleep last night, I have just enjoyed a refreshing walk in freezing temperatures and viewed the sun's awakening over a field...very beautiful.  As I stood there, it occurred to me that I was resting in the Lord.  I thought about "rest" and realized that rest happens on different levels.  There is the physical level that a peaceful sleep can bring.  There also is a rest that we can find in our minds, our emotions and deeply within our spiritual nature.  I realized that it is possible to experience rest in some, but not all, of these levels.  This morning, as I enjoyed being outdoors with the Lord, I allowed my mind, emotions and spirit to all join the rest I'd just experienced from my night of sleep.  My challenge today is to walk in rest in the midst of activity and unrest.  I know that I can't bring this peace to myself...I must "rest" the weight of my troubles, problems and interests on Him.  When His power rests on me then I will have rest!

Hebrews 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

2 Corinthians 12:9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment