Monday, November 24, 2008

"well defined" is the way

The interstate highway is walking distance away from my house.  This morning I jogged under it in one direction and walked under on the way back (on a road passing underneath).  Viewed from below, the highway isn't as impressive as the view from the cars travelling on the highway.  I paced off the width of each span and they appear to be about 60 feet across.  Although it was early..about 6:30 am, many cars and trucks were already rumbling overhead.  It occurred to me that each day thousands of passenger cars, commercial trucks and semi-tractor trailers travel east and west on that narrow ribbon.  If that small section I walked under were taken out, thousands of commuters would be delayed, delivery trucks would fail to make schedules and folks headed out for holiday vacations would be frustrated.  I thought in a new way of Jesus' words when He said in Matthew 7, verse 13  "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it."  I realized that another way of looking at "narrow" is "well defined".  Just as surely as folks who want to go to Norfolk from Williamsburg will wander in frustration if they leave Interstate 64, so will we be frustrated who want to find our ultimate purpose and the ultimate destination in the Lord, if we don't find the "well-defined" and clearly mapped interstate highway of Christ. Of course, it isn't enough to locate the highway...we must get up to speed and merge ...and actually travel the road.  So I think I'll leave looking up at the road and get on it this morning.  I hope you'll join me.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment