Monday, December 15, 2008

keepers of the light

I have been reminded recently that I am not the source of light or strength in my life.  In myself, I am really weak and prone to failure.  This morning as I set out on a jog, it occurred to me that the gift of life that allows me to run, to think, to enjoy even the basic aspects of life comes from God.  For some reason, I tend to forget that.  I often make the mistake of thinking that the strength and the life comes from within myself.  But this morning I remembered that there is One who has given our lives to us (because He gave His life for us).  Not only do I have nothing to do with the source of strength and life within, I had nothing to do with my design or my appearance on earth.  I was reminded that it's all a gift.  Why am I so presumptuous to think that, having been given life, now I must complete it with my personal wisdom and strength?  Like the keeper of a lighthouse, it's my honor to carry the Light and to display the Light.  But it is good to be reminded that I am not that light.  That is too much weight for anyone to carry!  It was liberating to bow before that truth.

John 1:4-5,9 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment