Thursday, February 26, 2009

perfection

Perfection is within reach
               99 cents 
        Coca Cola "
 
The other day I spied an advertising poster taped to the glass of a gas station / convenience store near where I work.  It displayed the message above.  I have been a fan of Coca Cola for several decades.  It has been a faithful satisfier of my sweet tooth and its popularity has made it available everywhere.  There have been times when I suppose I was addicted to it...maybe the caffeine...maybe the flavor...maybe the fizz...I don't know...it's a little bit of a mystery.  Maybe it's that secret formula that they use to make Coke.  I don't know the formula but that's not necessary to enjoy the drink.  I guess the only thing that has changed is the price.  Perfection was in reach for a dime when I was young.  But it is comforting to know that you can find perfection just about anywhere.  The price isn't a hindrance and when there is a longing for something sweet and thirst quenching I can rely on the words of the poster and reach for perfection.  Of course I thought about the real Perfection who comes in the form of a Person.  He also is within reach.  The price is considerably more than 99 cents, but He's got the price covered too.  Coke used to advertise itself as "the real thing".  Jesus is the "real one" who is sweeter, more thirst quenching, more mysterious and more available (and certainly more perfect) than even Coca Cola.
 
Isaiah 58:11
      The LORD will guide you continually,
      And satisfy your soul in drought,
      And strengthen your bones;
      You shall be like a watered garden,
      And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment