Saturday, March 7, 2009

What is your song?

Recently I purposed to listen to Christian radio to help keep my mind on the Lord more of the time.  The station I chose is one that I have not always enjoyed because of the old music and overly trained voices that can seem too much a part of the past.  But there is excellent teaching and devotional thoughts that are shared during the broadcasts, as well, and so I have continued to listen.  I discovered myself singing along, even to some of the older songs, because many of them penetrate thick layers of my heart and soul.  As a bonus, I have found myself singing some of these songs when the radio isn't turned on at all.  When I'm in the shower a hymn or song will just fill my mind and I'll begin to sing.  I was reminded that it does matter what we allow into our heads through the eye and ear gates and that its value goes beyond entertainment.  I like the idea that music that honors the Lord just bubbles up within without me consciously willing it to.  I realize that the kind of music that surfaces when I am alone is a direct result of the kind of music I "program" my mind with.  I suppose this is a common experience and from now on I will be curious to see what kind of song shows up in my mind, when I am not listening to the radio.
 
Psalm 126: 1 When the LORD brought back the captivity of Zion,
         We were like those who dream.
 2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
         And our tongue with singing.
         Then they said among the nations,
         "The LORD has done great things for them."
 3 The LORD has done great things for us,
         And we are glad.
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment