Saturday, January 30, 2010

stairway to heaven

Genesis 28:10-12 Jacob left Beersheba and went to Haran. He came to a certain place and camped for the night since the sun had set. He took one of the stones there, set it under his head and lay down to sleep. And he dreamed: A stairway was set on the ground and it reached all the way to the sky; angels of God were going up and going down on it.
 
Yesterday my grandson, Peter, was excited to show me a "book" he'd written.  While waiting for his Mom in a doctor's office he'd assembled several pages of "4 year old" descriptive literature, made from colored pens.  When I asked what the book was about, he told me that it was the story of "God making everything" and his father taught him that his book was about Genesis...the book of beginnings.  The swirls and jagged bolts and flashes of color probably did capture something of the power and drama when God spoke creation into being.  But I was especially impressed with a zig-zag line on page two.  It had more definition as a distinct form.  Peter explained to me that the line was a "stairway to heaven".  At the top was a light blue square that represented Heaven, itself.  I thought how profound it was that Peter included, not only the story of creation, but the chapter that connects creation with the Creator.  I'm glad he has a picture of the stairway to Heaven.  When we pretended to walk up the stairs he pointed out that we would probably see Jesus on the way.  I hope you've found the stairway to heaven...it actually does start here...and I think you will find Jesus on the way!
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment