Friday, February 5, 2010

spiritual weight lifting

Psalm 25:1 To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.....4 Make me know your ways, O Lord; Teach me your paths. 5 Lead me in your truth and teach me, For you are the God of my salvation; For you I wait all the day.
 
Lifting weights is a popular and effective way to build strength and improve overall stamina and health.  The passage above makes me think of another healthy pursuit: "Wait / Lifting".  David tells us that the starting point for him is to "lift up my soul" to the Lord.  Soul appears to mean all that is in us...our heart, personality, mind...the total package of who we are.  It apparently is possible to focus entirely on the Lord...quite a challenge with all the distractions that pull us in multiple directions simultaneously.  But David purposed to lift his soul to the Lord.  In verse 5 he tells us that he waits before God all day long to find truth, wisdom and knowledge because God has shown His great love for us by securing our salvation. 
 
Yes, weight lifting is great training for physical strength...perhaps wait/lifting can be our focus for spiritual strength!
 
blessings (from my soul to yours),
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment