Friday, June 4, 2010

the guide

I remember making brief visits to foreign cities during my deployment to the Mediterranean years ago.  I was a fan of guided tours.  Many of the guys preferred to wander on their own or to hang out at the local pubs and bars....and some preferred to just absorb the local culture on their own.  But with limited time ashore, I liked having someone knowledgeable point out the important buildings and add the historical background.  We toured the ancient city of Ephesus, where the apostle Paul had spent much time, and saw the ruins of the great Temple of Diana and the toppled columns and rocky remains of Roman roads.  The guide pointed out a cave where, tradition says, the Apostle John took care of Mary, Jesus' mother,  before he was exiled to Patmos.  I appreciated being in a place where faith in our Lord and His Gospel had some of its early challenges and victories.  As I read Psalm 16 this morning I was reminded that our Lord is the ultimate "tour guide".  I'm destined to wander aimlessly and miss out on the best of life without His presence.  I was reminded that our relationship with the Lord is so much more than a one-time encounter...it's all about experiencing life to the fullest.
 
Psalm16:11  You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment