Monday, June 7, 2010

one peace

John 16:33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
 
There are many sources of stress in our lives.  Some of these start within us, as we wrestle with the challenges of daily living or as we contend with the consequences of poor choices we have made.  Some of the tensions that test us come from outside our lives, from the challenges of work, family and society.  Relationships may rock our world with difficulties and concerns from children, spouse, or neighbors.  On a larger scale, we see governments and economies tilt and sway and bend under forces that threaten to overturn the stability of our lives.  But this morning, as I read through several psalms by a peaceful pond, I gazed up to see the pair of eagles who often perch across the way and noticed that they seemed to be unconcerned about any of these things.  I suppose they were relatively confident that the fish supply in the pond would meet their survival need.  Their focus is simple and their peace secure.  I was reminded that there is really only one peace that I must secure and after that all is well, even if the world around or the world within swings off its hinges.  If I have peace with Jesus I have all the peace I need.  He has overcome the world and in Him I travel, as if in a secure boat.  The boat is rocked and pitches with the problems of living but, like the eagles, I am assured that He will carry me securely.  When we have peace with our Lord we have peace in the midst of unrest...a peace that overcomes the world.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment