Saturday, June 5, 2010

trust

One of the themes that runs through Psalms 21-25 (the ones I read today) centers on "trust" in God.  So I was thinking about trust.  Why do we trust in anything?  I think we must trust when we come up against challenges that we can't handle by ourselves.  If we can do it ourselves why would we need to trust some outside force or power?  We aren't able to commute 20 miles to work in half an hour by walking, so we trust in a car to do that.  Infants aren't able to feed, clean or dress themselves so they have no choice but to trust parents for those basic needs.  As you begin to consider what you need to "trust" for, the list quickly grows.  I wasn't able to build or buy my home without trusting in others for the construction and financing (and somehow the bank trusts me to keep the payments coming!).  Just as trust is a theme that runs through Psalms, so it is a theme that runs through our lives every day.   I think the reality of life is that we need help, beyond ourselves, for a high percentage of our needs.  Certainly it makes sense to trust the One who has given us life when we understand and control so little of it!  We come to Him out of need and in trust we find Him true.  Our faith is then established and our hope secured...for the unknowns of life and the challenges of living are beyond our knowledge and control.
 
Psalm 21:7 For the king trusts in the LORD,
         And through the mercy of the Most High he shall not be moved.
 
Psalm 22:9 But You are He who took Me out of the womb;
         You made Me trust while on My mother's breasts.
 
Psalm 25:2 O my God, I trust in You;
         Let me not be ashamed;
         Let not my enemies triumph over me.
  
 blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment