Wednesday, July 14, 2010

something to say; something to do

There is so much happening in Luke chapter 8 that I wanted to remain there for at least another day.  Two thoughts struck me today.   I have a new take on the "Parable of the Soils", the familiar story Jesus used to illustrate how people can be like four different kinds of soil when it comes to their response to His words (4 soils: trampled down, rocky, thorny, and good ground).  In the past I've always identified with the types of soil and tried to picture myself as good soil, even when I haven't been.  But today I identify more with the sower and I see that the four soils are four kinds or reactions I should expect as I share God's word.  I see that, as believers, we are both sower and soil.  Some will welcome the word, but it is likely that a majority will not.  That should not dissuade us from sowing the seeds.
The other thought that struck me from Luke 8 is that Jesus' ministry was marked by things He said and the things He did.  He spoke of the Kingdom and He demonstrated the Kingdom.  Words and Works reinforce Truth.  We have a message that makes a difference in lives.  So I am challenged to have a walk that includes works with words.  The works confirm the words and inspire a response!  Certainly that was the case when Jesus healed the sick and raised the dead.  It really was impossible for those who saw to ignore Him...works prompt a response.
 
Luke 8:18 "Therefore take heed how you hear.  For whoever has, to him more will be given; and whoever does not have, even what he seems to have will be taken from him."
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment