Monday, December 13, 2010

by way of reminder...

2 Peter 1:12 For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. 13 Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you, 14 knowing that shortly I must put off my tent, just as our Lord Jesus Christ showed me. 15 Moreover I will be careful to ensure that you always have a reminder of these things after my decease.

Most of us know the power of "reminders".  Sometimes we stick "post-it" notes on our bathroom mirrors, or we leave library books to be returned next to our car keys, or we have alarms go off ahead of appointments on our electronic calendars.  My Mom used to say that if my head weren't sewn on, I'd lose it.  Peter knew that the believers of his time, as well as ours, would need reminding of the powerful truths of God.  So, in his second letter, he reminded them that.....

He actually heard the voice of God on the Mount of Transfiguration saying,  "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

The prophecies of Christ's coming were fulfilled, just as the prophets had spoken and written for hundreds of years.

All scripture was written by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and that same Spirit will help us understand the meaning.

Just as there are true prophets and inspired truth, there are false prophets and teachers (even today) who are capable of deceiving us.

Unfortunately, some of these false teachers come from a background in the truth..but have abandoned it for the pleasures of controlling others through deception.

Scoffers will say that the world just "happened" and will always be here.  But we know that God made the world, preserves the world and will, one day, destroy this world and fashion a new Heaven and Earth (where righteousness will live). (scoffers also said it couldn't flood in the days of Noah!)

The best way to avoid deception is to spend time experiencing the Lord's presence and filling our minds with His truth.

The middle of "reminder" is the word "mind".  I think the key is to set our mind on the Lord (Peter would approve).
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment