Saturday, December 25, 2010

the other side of eternity

You may have heard of time travel.  Today (Christmas) I took a trip to the far side of eternity and looked back.  I saw that all my life on earth I had thought about two things: (a) what lies ahead while I am still alive in the body and (b) what will it be like after I died and reached Heaven's open door.  But I hadn't thought about what eternity would be like...or the nature of existence in that place where time has no claim.  I had been focused so much on "destinations" that I hadn't thought about the trip, either through time or through eternity.  And then I remembered that the Lord is all about growth...the process of becoming more than the result of arriving.  Living in eternity would be pretty dull if we "fully arrived" just by reaching Heaven.  Imagine spending forever in a place of constant wonder, glory and growth...of being in the presence of the greatest Creative force ever and beholding the results of His imagination.  Of course we can only imagine what the experience will be like of life in eternity...but when we are set free from the chains of our physical limits and our spiritual stumbling we will have the potential to soar.  It was exciting to travel to the other side of eternity...the side where we will actually live and move and have identity.  I saw that eternity will be a continuation of life, growth, fulfillment and wonder.  It's really not about arriving so much as it is about the trip (no matter how short or long).

Philippians 3:12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 

blessings to all the eternal travelers,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment