Tuesday, December 21, 2010

rare lunar event

Early this morning we were treated to a rare lunar event...a total eclipse of the moon.  The shadow of earth fell across the moon (although it happened while I was sleeping!) and apparently created a stunning view for over an hour.  This happened on the first day of winter, the first time such an eclipse has occurred on that day for over three centuries.  But I actually had a lunar event that was even more special and personal this morning.  I drove down to the edge of my favorite local pond while the full moon was just above the trees on the far shore.  There was no hint of dawn yet...the sky was still dark.  As I pulled up to the pond, the front of my car faced directly toward the moon.  We've had temperatures that have consistently lingered below freezing and the surface of the pond was ice all the way across.  I could tell this from a narrow path made of light from the moon reflecting off the pond's surface.  Due to the position of the moon and my car and the iced surface of the pond, there appeared to be a path that led from where I was sitting, across the pond and to the moon.  I was immediately struck by the thought that God has provided a path that is just as clear to follow Him and find life, despite the "night-like" darkness of living in this world.  It was a great view to prepare my heart before reading through the faith chapter of Hebrews 11, which I'll be discussing later today with friends.  He has provided a path through the darkness and it starts in Heaven and leads directly to you, wherever you are.  You can find the path when you pick up the map, otherwise known as the Bible.  The map is not the destination but it will clearly lead us to Him.  This lunar path prepared my heart to face the world as the greater light of the sun washed over it.

Psalm 119: 105 Your word is a lamp to my feet   
                   And a light to my path.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment