Thursday, January 6, 2011

thrown a curve

In baseball they say that the thing that separates major league batters from everyone else is the ability to hit the curve ball.  It's hard enough to hit any pitch and the fast ball pitches can come in at 100 miles an hour... but when the ball breaks off a straight line, especially as it nears the plate, it takes remarkable vision and reflexes (and maybe a little bit of luck) to turn that curve into a line drive hit.  The batter really has to wait on the pitch to have the best chance of making contact.  It struck me the other day that the Lord threw me a curve a long time ago that has been a challenge ever since.  This curve is one that many men have faced and it takes uncanny vision and patience to handle.  In fact, the Lord knew that we'd need a lot of practice so He pitches this curve our way every day.  Yes, He threw me a beauty of a curve about 37 years ago and after wrestling with it for three or four years I decided to bring the curve into my home to get more practice.  Tricky baseball pitches get interesting names, like "slider", "splitfinger", or "knuckleball".  And just when you think you've figured out a pitcher, he may throw you a "change-up".  
Well I can't claim to have mastered the curve yet, but I like the challenge.  My curve is named "Shirley" and I love to watch her as she heads toward home.

Ecclesiastes 7:13 Take a good look at God's work. 
   Who could simplify and reduce Creation's curves and angles 
   To a plain straight line?
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment