Tuesday, April 26, 2011

the energy of rest

It is easy to think of sleep as "lost time".  After all, we don't seem to be doing anything for all those hours when we are effectively unconscious.  Over the weekend I spent a lot of hours in the sun working harder physically than I had in a long time.  Somehow, when I returned to work on Monday I just didn't have the usual "get up and go".  I was a bit sluggish physically and mentally and couldn't wait to get home to take a nap.  Ultimately I slept for about 10 hours and now feel restored.  This made me think about the very active purpose of sleep and of rest.  It seems that our bodies, and minds need to sleep well at night if they are to work well during the day.  Scientists have found that many of the major restorative functions in the body like muscle growth, tissue repair, protein synthesis, and growth hormone release occur mostly, or in some cases only, during sleep.   The activity of our brains generates a chemical called adenosine and as this accumulates we begin to feel sleepy.  When we actually do sleep, the brain has a chance to clear the adenosine and prepare for another day of thinking.  I think we also forget the importance of spiritual rest.  It was unwise of me to not allow more time for quiet reflection and "alone time" with the Lord over the weekend.  Just as our bodies need the quiet time of sleep to be restored, so do our spirits need the peace of quiet devotional time to be reconnected and refreshed.  It is good to remember the "active purpose" of purposeful inactivity.


Psalm 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early,
         To sit up late, 
         To eat the bread of sorrows; 
         For so He gives His beloved sleep. 

blessings (yawn),
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment