Tuesday, May 24, 2011

the blessing bonus

I think that one of the most exciting aspects of our personal devotional life is the unexpected blessings that surface during those times.  When we free our schedule, our minds and our bodies for a time to stand in the presence of the Lord...to talk with Him and to listen to Him and to behold His beauty there is often a freshness and a new insight or assurance that accompanies that time.  I like to visit with the Lord at the local mill pond in the morning just because there are few distractions and much natural beauty.  It creates an atmosphere that is conducive to being open with and feeling close to our Lord.  This morning I happened to remember my binoculars and as I scanned the far side of the pond a bald eagle suddenly flew into my vision.  He ascended to the top of a tree and assumed his regal posture overseeing the watery domain.  It occurred to me that I didn't go to the pond to see an eagle.  I went to draw close to the Lord...but He threw in the eagle as a bonus.  When we purpose to include our wonderful Lord in our lives we may be surprised by the unexpected blessing that may result.

Psalm 139:5 You go before me and follow me.
      You place your hand of blessing on my head.

blessings as you spend time with Him today!
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment