Saturday, May 21, 2011

simple understanding

I like simplicity...fewer moving parts and less sophistication means less can break and life is simpler.  Of course we live in a complex age, with technology layered over technology and everything from our electric toothbrushes to our telephones is very "un-simple".  (And I certainly like the benefits and functions of modern living and today's devices).  Technology allows me to do things that I need and understand with tools that are beyond my understanding.  This reminds me of the Lord.  I do not begin to understand the ways of God and that makes sense because He is the Maker and I am the Made One.   With technology I have found that there are two kinds of understanding:  understanding (or not understanding) how things work and understanding how things can work for me.  With the Lord I find two kinds of understanding as well: understanding (or not understanding) the ways of God and understanding how His ways are meant to influence my ways.  I have come to peace with technology and do not feel it necessary to grasp the inner workings of all these devices in order to enjoy their benefits.  And I have come to peace with God and know that it is not necessary, or even possible, for me to comprehend His work....while also growing in my understanding of His reality and how that knowledge makes all the difference.
 
Job 32:
 8 But there is a spirit in man,
      And the breath of the Almighty gives him understanding.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment