Sunday, June 12, 2011

look closer, feel nearer

Apart from one familiar friend, the pond didn't present any dramatic wildlife or events this morning.  The familiar friend was the diving duck I'd seen once before.  He seemed to have the water to himself.  Yes it seemed a little dull....until I looked closer.  Right at my feet, in the 6 inch deep water at the pond's edge, I saw a school of minnows (I guess class was in session on a Sunday morning).  Back and forth in front of me a dragonfly slalomed like a shore patrol searching for wayward insects.  Some kind of water bugs traced paths over the surface of the pond.  When I looked closer I saw that the signs of life were everywhere.  I thought of the abundant expressions of life that the Creator has surrounded us with.  I thought of the reality of His surrounding presence, as well.  I "know" that He is here, always and everywhere,...at least I know it intellectually.  But I don't always look close enough to be aware of His presence.   If I consider carefully I can see Him in His handiwork, hear Him in His Word and feel Him in my heart.  He isn't just everywhere...He is available anytime....if I stop and look a little closer.  It is this "awareness" knowledge that draws me close to the One who is always near.

Psalm 73:28 But as for me, how good it is to be near God!
      I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter,
      and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment