Tuesday, June 28, 2011

standing with the heron

This morning I stood by the water's edge of the local pond with a large blue heron also standing nearby.  He looked to be overdressed for the occasion with his folded wings resembling a tuxedo and his beard like a ruffled shirt.  Patiently he gazed over his long bill, without moving his body and only occasionally shifting his head.  I emulated his posture and decided to look out over the water and just drink in the view.  The water was still and calm but not motionless as fish broke the surface to snare insects and ripples fanned out.  The woods were peaceful but not silent as birds spoke to one another and invisible creatures rustled.  The quieter I became the more I observed.  The thought occurred to me that this is how I need to wait before the Lord.  The heron may appear to be an overdressed statue but he is an acute observer...looking for his next meal and his nearest threat.  I can be so busy thinking my own thoughts and talking my own script that I fail to observe the Lord as He seeks to reach me.  If I am still I may be able to discern the subtle messages He speaks, even on a quiet morning.

Psalm 49: 2 High and low,
      rich and poor—listen!

blessings,
Rob Smithsta

No comments:

Post a Comment