Wednesday, July 27, 2011

the world in motion

This morning I wanted to walk but the wooded areas were so infested with biting flies that I headed down to my local pond.  The pond has a scenic view but only a short stretch of roadway for walking (perhaps 200 yards).  But I decided to walk that short path over and over, like a loop.  I found the pond presenting a more interesting view "set into motion" by walking.  I was reminded of the simple beauty of the curved edge of the water and of the trees and plants growing right to the edge, as if they were drinking directly from the pond.  I passed the spill water dam that carries the pond's overflow and enjoyed the sparkling flow of the sheet of water running over the concrete spill-way to the overflow pond and creek beyond.  This was a treat for the eye and the ear and, sitting back in the corner of the overflow pond was a great blue heron who extended his rope-like neck every time I passed, but felt safe enough to remain standing in place.  I realized that putting myself in motion caused the world around me to display a more fascinating view.  I suppose that life can be like that too.  Sometimes we have been waiting, motionless, too long.  Life seems stale and motionless and the view unchanging.  Perhaps it can change by putting some change into our life...maybe we just need to start moving sometimes to begin to experience the change we need.

Psalm 116:8 He has saved me from death,
      my eyes from tears,
      my feet from stumbling.
 9 And so I walk in the Lord's presence
      as I live here on earth!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment