Tuesday, August 9, 2011

the main thing

I was discussing a problem with my wife this morning. This Saturday our daughter will be getting married. Relatives and friends I practically never see will be coming to town and I want to "hang out" with all of them. I want to walk around town...eat meals...catch up on their lives...with all of them! And it just won't be possible! They will only be here a few days and, yes, I will see them for the wedding and the rehearsal dinner and a brunch the day after the wedding....But it just isn't enough! These are some of my very favorite people in the whole world, including aunts and uncles and cousins and my sisters and some friends we have known across our marriage. But then it hit me..."Keep the main thing focused" It's all about the wedding. These wonderful people are all coming here to witness and celebrate one of the greatest events of a lifetime...when two are joined by God to become one. As dear as my relationship is with each of these people, we are all gathering because of the wonder, the beauty, the mystery and the challenge marked by the marriage of Courtney and Ben. That is the greater relationship this week. We will see the birth of a home and a family and we will witness their commitment to each other and God's commitment to them. This is a week to keep "the main thing" the main thing. And the main thing is the wedding where God invades two lives and knits them together so that the vital purposes of life may be sustained and new life may ultimately enter this world. I was reminded that it is also important to keep "the main thing" centered in all the other weeks that follow. This week we are putting our close existing relationships on the second shelf to honor a very special relationship. We have a relationship with our Creator that is "the main thing" every day and we need to keep that focused, as well, when so many things compete for our attention.
John 3:31 The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment