Friday, November 25, 2011

pond soup

I eased my kayak into the local pond this morning as the night mist still lingered over the surface and the water was still, apart from my noisy invasion.  As I pushed away from the sandy edge, with a muffled scraping sound I found the kayak gliding almost as if the pond were coated with Teflon....smooth and easy.  All was still, except for a few chirping birds in the surrounding woods and the oars became like spoons that dipped into pond soup to savor a meal of peace on the water.   A great blue heron allowed me to come fairly close and watch as he speared a fish for breakfast.  Then he lifted off and gracefully crossed the pond to a more private spot, never flying more than five feet above the water.  I was glad to have a time without a set purpose or deadline or responsibility.   It was time just to blend into the handiwork of God and join His creatures and creation on the pond of peace.

Genesis 1:21 So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water, and every sort of bird—each producing offspring of the same kind. And God saw that it was good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment