Tuesday, February 14, 2012

holiness

This morning, at the local pond, I was entertained by three otters. They poked their round heads above the water for a few seconds and then submerged to swim 75-100 feet underwater and pop to the surface again. They seemed to be having a good time and I think God fashioned a creature designed for "play" when he made the otter. I think He designed us as creatures for a different purpose...perhaps created to reflect His nature. Peter tells us that we were made to be holy because He is holy. So I looked up "holy", knowing that it was going to be more likely I'd swim like an otter than that I could live in the perfection of God, Himself. But Webster tells me that "holy" has something to do with 'total dedication'. The Lord is totally dedicated to us and, perhaps, He has called us to pursue lives that are 'totally dedicated to Him'. He demonstrated that absolute commitment in the giving of His Son to buy us back. Now we have a lifetime to respond in dedication to Him. Absolute love calls for total commitment. This is a great challenge, but the One who has called us to the commitment is also the One who provides the resources to make it possible. I think the bottom line of holiness is focus...the setting of our minds, hearts and actions on the One who sets His abiding love on us.
1 Peter 1:15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy."[
 

No comments:

Post a Comment