Wednesday, July 11, 2012

view from the Cross

The other day I was thinking about the view from the Cross.  I have often pictured looking up to Jesus, as He suffered on that cruel device, but I have not so frequently considered what it was like for Him to be there looking out and down on the miserable ones below Him.  Looking up, as we look back, we realize our great shame over the incredible wrong we committed in putting Him there.  Looking down, as He did then...and as He does now from eternity, He saw that only His agony could atone for the cruelty that put Him there.  We did not realize that our God's love was so great that it had the capacity, not only to understand our deep flaws, but to cover them.  As Jesus was affixed to the Cross...apparently impossible to move or act or accomplish anything...He achieved the great work of dying in our place.  I wonder, as He looked down, if His gaze met the direct upward view of individual people.  And I wonder what response they felt, as their eyes locked with His!

John 12:27 "Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save Me from this hour'? But for this purpose I came to this hour.

blessings from the foot of the Cross,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment