Saturday, January 5, 2013

wanting the best

It occurred to me yesterday that I could think about loving others in a new way...
I was reflecting on the reality that some people are easier to love than others.  In fact some people seem more like the enemy than anything else and "loving them" just doesn't seem natural (I guess it isn't!).  Then I remembered something our Pastor said from the pulpit last week...to the effect that when we have differences with other people we need to remember that there are spiritual forces that are also involved in trying to separate and cause difficulty.  He reminded us that the other person really isn't the problem.  I realized that I really don't have another human being that "is the problem"...in fact every other human being is either a member of the same spiritual family now or has the potential to become a member of that family, headed by the Lord.  Suddenly I realized that the best attitude I can have toward others is to picture them as individuals and then develop an attitude that "wants the very best" for them.  Wanting the very best for an individual leads to specific actions that are custom-fit for their situation.  Perhaps this can become the basis for a New Year's resolution...to "want the best" for those around on an individual basis and then allowing this to drive my actions.   

Matthew 5:46 If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. 47 If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. 48 But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.

blessings to each,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment