Wednesday, February 6, 2013

the treasure box

Recently I was visiting in my daughter's home and I watched my grandson, Peter, as he was gluing some colored plastic "gems" on a small wooden box.  I asked what the box was all about and he opened it to show a beautiful piece of quartz.  Peter told me that his mother had given him the quartz and that she had found it and kept it when she was a child (my memory failed to recall this significant incident!).  He had carefully selected several multi-colored "gems" to decorate the box because the treasure within made the box that carried the treasure almost just as precious.  This reminded me that we, who have come to know the Lord personally, are like that treasure box.  The quartz we carry within is the presence of the living God.  We cherish His presence and we treasure the memory of how He found us personally and how he fills our personal treasure chest with life on a continual basis.  Just like Peter, we are motivated to beautify our lives with gems of love in action.  And just as his mother gave Peter the quartz, we have others we can thank for the presence of the Lord within our lives.  We could never improve on the beauty of the Lord, just as Peter cannot enhance the beauty of the quartz, but we can reflect that inner beauty as we add the gems of obedience to the treasure within.

2 Corinthians 4:But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment