Wednesday, June 12, 2013

tassels to remember

Numbers 15:37 Then the Lord said to Moses, 38 "Give the following instructions to the people of Israel: Throughout the generations to come you must make tassels for the hems of your clothing and attach them with a blue cord. 39 When you see the tassels, you will remember and obey all the commands of the Lord instead of following your own desires and defiling yourselves, as you are prone to do. 40 The tassels will help you remember that you must obey all my commands and be holy to your God. 41 I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt that I might be your God. I am the Lord your God!"

I've been listening to the Book of Numbers this week.  It is a true story of the power and authority of God contrasted with the chronic rebellion of God's people.  In the passage above God provides an instruction to help the people remember and obey His commands.  He has them attach tassels to the bottom of their robes that have no other function other than to serve as a reminder of Him.  So every day, everywhere they went they carried a direct reminder of God on their person.  They could also see these reminders on the clothes of all others around them.  In a way it seems strange that we would need reminders of the all powerful, all present God.  But we are made in such a way that it is very possible to forget Him, despite His fingerprints on all He has made, and even despite the work He has done in our hearts.  I am challenged to make the first piece of clothing that I put on in the morning an invisible garment...to remember that I am more clothed by the covering of the Lord over my sin than the protection any physical clothes can provide.  I am also reminded by the blessings of this life: wife, children, grandchildren and other family that are the direct gift of God in my life.

blessings to you,
Rob Smith 

No comments:

Post a Comment